How much time and money do you spend on your beauty routine?
Over the years you will have spent a small fortune on all the creams, lotions and maybe even some beauty treatments.
But what is it costing the earth?
It’s never too late to redeem yourself. You can become an eco-beauty with very little effort.
Follow the 10 tips below to make sure you still look superb but don’t harm the earth at the same time.
1. Go natural. No we don’t mean no make up at all. You will naturally look better by getting a good nights sleep and you wont need as much make up as a consequence.
2. Recycle. Bottles, jars and tubes can all be recycled. No change to your beauty routine but the benefits to mother earth are there for all to see. A really simple one.
3. Spring Clean. Think of all the half used bottles and jars of cream you have. Instead of buying new creams ask yourself where you could reuse these creams. Face cream for example could easily be used on the ankles and feet. If you don’t intend using it, then give it away.
4. Be Minimal. Just use what you need. This saves on product and usually makes you look even better. Give it a try.
5. Drink lots of water. The right amount of water is different for everyone but one thing is for sure…. We don’t normally drink enough. Not only does it cleanse our insides but also the boost to our complexion is quite magnificent. Drink more, drink more, drink more… let that be your motto.
6. Half measures. Less is more. When your hairdresser tells you that you only need a small spoonful of shampoo they are telling the truth. Just use what you need. It will be less expensive for you as well.
7. Food for thought. Don’t throw out cucumbers just because they are too limp for the salad. Use them to soothe tired eyes. Look for beauty tips using natural products. You will be amazed at what you find.
8. Swap shop. Seek out those brands that are actively trying to make a difference and change to them. Look for proof that they really mean what they say.
9. Save time? Save the earth instead. Ready-made facial wipes are great for tired beauty fans – one wipe does the trick. But the cost to the environment is substantial. Why not just buy a face cloth instead? Does the same thing and only takes a few minutes more.
10. Chemical brothers. Check the labels. If your favourite beauty products use parabens and sodium laureth sulphate then ditch them.
Both of these ‘nasties’ have been identified as carcinogens with harmful effect on the planet. They can be bad for you as well causing skin irritation.
The above 10 tips are by no means complete, But if you use beauty products then you might as well keep the earth looking beautiful as well.
Angie Brannigan is a fully qualified beauty therapist and has trained in alternative therapies over the past 10 years. She is an active full time therapist and author. She writes for the popular website http://www.beautyskills.info