Lately we've been hearing many stories about women (and men!) with skin cancer. Part of this is due to an overabundant exposure to sun. This is especially true out here in California where the sun is out about 360 days out of the year!
Then there are all these products on the market nowadays that contain ingredients that are not good for you. As I've said before, I'm pretty particular about what I put on my skin. What I look for and appreciate are beauty products made of natural elements and will also help protect against harmful UVA and ABA rays.
Michele Dispensa, the founder of Relish Beauty products, has begun an anti-cancer crusade to educate people about the dangers of overexposure to sun. Here are some facts to keep in mind:
- Sunlight contains three types of ultraviolet rays: UVA, UVB and UVC
- Clouds and pollution do not filter out UV rays. Even on cloudy, cool, or overcast days, UV rays travel through the clouds and reflect off sand, water, and concrete
- UVA rays penetrate glass/windows
- Most children rack up between 50% and 80% of their lifetime sun exposure before age 18
- Even mild sunburn is a first-degree radiation burn
- Certain medication, such as antibiotics, and cosmetic procedures increase sensitivity to the sun
- Sunscreen helps prevent premature signs of aging such as fine lines, freckles and wrinkles
- Most people need at least one ounce of sunscreen to adequately cover their body, which is enough to fill a shot glass
- Apply sunscreen about 30 minutes before going outside so that a good layer of protection can form. It should be reapplied every 2 to 3 hours.
I absolutely love the Shea Butter Body Lotion! For some reason it smells like a blend of almond and honey beeswax. Absolute Luxury with a capital "L"!
You can buy Relish Beauty products online at relishbeauty.com or Amazon.com. They're also sold in specialty boutiques and resorts nationwide such as the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego, Auberge Du Soleil in Napa, and Marilyn Jaeger Skincare in San Francisco.