1. Stick with your own style. Sometimes we'll want to go with a decoration just because it's "hip" and "modern", but if you're not going to be comfortable living with it, then by all means don't buy it! Just like clothing, only buy what you absolutely love.
2. Build around a focal point. If you're stuck and don't know where to start. Pick an item in the room as your focal point and buy pieces that compliment that item. For many people it is a piece of art or a rug. Pick colors and decor that go with the theme of the focal point.
3. Mix it up. Most people decorate their home and then just leave it like it is for years. Be bold and daring and decorate whenever the seasons change. While you're out shopping those summer clothing sales, why not pick up some fall decorations as well?
4. Create a journal with clippings from decorating magazines. Fill your journal with ideas and then take it with you the next time you go shopping for home decor.
5. Have fun! Ok, this may seem like an obvious tip, but you'd be surprised how many people I see get so stressed out about decorating their home! But then again, sometimes we do get stressed about what to wear...*sigh*