There are some foods that we eat when we want to be comforted. There are some foods that we eat when we need more energy. And then there are some foods that we don’t always eat – but we should because they keep us healthy and being healthy is one of the most important things in life.
Here are ten foods that you should eat to stay healthy:
1. Blueberries. The number one thing that you can do to stay healthy is to boost your immune system. Foods that are rich in antioxidants provide an immediate boost to your immune system. One of the most antioxidant rich foods that you’ll find is the blueberry. Wild blueberries are the best choice but any blueberries are better than none. Blueberries have other health benefits that include helping with weight loss, improving vision and promoting the health of the urinary tract.
2. Cheese. Many people think poorly of cheese but it has a surprising number of health benefits. Some types of cheese are capable of boosting the immune system. Other health benefits of cheese include keeping your teeth and bones healthy and even potentially preventing cancer.
3. Avocados. These yummy fruits are rich in Vitamin E, a fat-soluble vitamin with antioxidant properties. Avocados may prevent certain types of cancer, improve eyesight, lower cholesterol levels and prevent strokes.
4. Ginger. One of the best foods that you can use in small doses is ginger. It’s good for everything from relieving nausea to improving circulation. It’s used in the treatment of colds so eat some when you’re first starting to feel unwell and make yourself stay healthy.
5. Broccoli. You’ve heard all your life that broccoli is good for you. The truth is that it really is. It is rich in Vitamin C, which is something that the body needs in order to stay healthy. It is also rich in fiber, potassium and folic acid. All of these things lead to numerous health benefits that can keep you feeling well for years to come.
6. Lentils. Another good source of folic acid is lentils. Folic acid helps with the formation of red blood cells. But that’s not the only good thing about lentils. Lentils are rich in fiber, protein and numerous trace minerals that you need to stay healthy. For example, lentils contain iron, which further improves the health of red blood cells.
7. Milk. Drink your milk if you want to stay healthy. It provides you with much-needed protein and calcium. It has riboflavin in it, which will keep your eyes working well. And it has Vitamin A, which helps fight off allergies. You can get it fortified with Vitamin D, a vitamin that many people are lacking these days. Note that you should drink low fat or skim milk instead of whole milk to avoid health drawbacks associated with fattier milk.
8. Shellfish. Unless you have a shellfish allergy you should be including foods like clams and mussels in your diet. That’s because they provide you with minerals and vitamins that are hard to get from other meats, fruits and vegetables. If you want to stay healthy then you need to get all of the nutrients that your body requires, not just some of them. Shellfish provides iron, magnesium and potassium.
9. Spinach. Popeye isn’t the only one that should be eating his spinach. We all need this leafy green vegetable to stay healthy. It is rich in nutrients and vitamins. It is also rich in flavonoids, which act as antioxidants. This means that spinach strengthens your immune system. With a great immune system, you’re a healthier person from day to day.
10. Peanuts. Add peanuts to your diet to reduce your risk of heart disease, a leading problem that affects people’s health as they age. Peanuts are rich in Vitamin E, calcium, niacin, fiber and protein. With all of those healthy things in them, peanuts are a must-have item for the person who wants to be healthy.
Joe blogs over at Running Shoes, a blog that focuses on shoe reviews and running advice.