It's nice to keep up with the trends and shop for pieces that give your style a little update, but there are certain classic pieces worth investing in that offer a more polished, timeless look. Here are my top 5 fashion items that should always have a spot in the wardrobe:
1) Button-Up Cardigan - Dressed up or dressed down, a cardigan is a very versatile item that can go with just about any outfit. A v-neck cardigan sweater can be worn with a pair of slacks, skirts, dresses, or layered over a collared blouse.
I usually carry a cardigan around with me when I'm out and about. Here in San Diego you never know if you're going to be inside a store that has the air conditioning on blast. Also, it can get chilly at night if you're walking around downtown.
2) Straight-Leg Jeans - Who knows how long skinny jeans will be in fashion, but one style you can always count on are straight-leg jeans. I like to wear them with boots during the fall/winter and then for spring/summer I'll fold up the bottoms to make them look like capris.
3) Diamond Jewelry - Regardless of what year, era, or trend is going on with jewelry, you can never go wrong with diamond jewelry. A tennis bracelet, diamond earring studs, or a diamond ring adds sparkle to any outfit. Besides that, these pieces can be passed down as heirloom jewelry to be kept in the family forever and ever.
I like to wear my diamond jewelry for business meetings, networking events, or I'll just throw them on when I'm in a rush and don't want to think too much about matching jewelry with my outfit. Diamonds go with everything!
4) Trench Coat - Another piece that can be worn with just about any outfit, the trench coat still continues to have a place in fashion history. It's one of the top 3 timeless jackets I blogged about last year, and will probably include as part of classic fall fashion articles in the future.
I would be remiss if I didn't include a picture of a trench coat by the ever-so-popular British fashion brand that probably put these coats on the map.
5) Little Black Dress - Ah, the good ole tried and true LBD. Where would a classic beauty and fashion lover be without it? Besides the jeans, you could wear a little black dress with every item I've mentioned in this article and create the ultimate timeless outfit!
Alexander McQueen draped-back jersey mini dress
Which of these classic fashion pieces are in your wardrobe now? Is there anything you would add to the list?
Subscribe via RSS or follow Beauty Is Within on Twitter and Facebook to stay updated!