For many of us, the busy-ness of life can leave us stressed and burned out. I have friends who work full-time jobs, have very active kids, and mates that need attention. I don't know how they do it, but they often look tired and feel irritable.
Does this sound like you?
I believe that part of your inner beauty is tending to your needs so that you feel energized, joyful, and centered. And when you are happy, that puts a smile on your face, which enhances your outer beauty. There is always time for you. No excuses. Here are 5 ways to take time out for yourself regardless of how busy you think you are:
1. Give yourself 5-10 minutes in the morning - The foundation of happiness and beauty is gratitude. Even before you open your eyes or get out of bed, take a few minutes to meditate on a beautiful day. This is also a great time to think of things that you are grateful for.
2. Break the monotony - It's easy to get in a rut during the week when it seems like each day was the same as the previous day. This can make you feel tired, weary, and uninspired. Do something new each day, whether it's putting together a new outfit from pieces you've never worn together before, wearing a new color of lipstick like I did last week, volunteering at a homeless shelter, playing bingo online, taking a ballroom dancing class, or reaching out to an old friend you lost touch with.
I've mentioned before that I've been challenging myself to do something new each day, and because of it I've been more productive and feel more confident, which in turn has enhanced my self-esteem.
3. Take a walk - Shut off the social media and go for a walk. Clear your mind, take deep breaths, and just enjoy the time by yourself. Look at the sky, listen to the birds, and feel the beat of your heart. This is a great time to get in touch with your emotions and gain clarity about life in general.
4. Look at yourself in the mirror - You do this already as you're getting ready in the morning, but stop for a moment and affirm to yourself how beautiful you are. Put a big smile on your face. Instead of bemoaning your perceived "flaws", appreciate your unique qualities.
5. Schedule a meeting with yourself - Think of it like scheduling a meeting with a client, friend, or the doctor. There are no ifs, ands, or buts. You could go to a movie, treat yourself to something nice in your favorite store, go to the spa, or have lunch at that restaurant you've always wanted to eat at.
It's time to put yourself on the priority list. You shouldn't feel guilty for wanting even just 15 minutes to yourself each day. If you think that you don't have time for yourself, think about the things you do that are time wasters. I'm pretty sure you can cut off some of those drama-filled reality shows, spend less time on Facebook, or stop reading tabloid magazines.
The more you take time for yourself, the more you will crave that time. You will begin to feel more balanced and less scatter-brained. Your sense of self-worth will increase. Believe me when I say that time invested in yourself will pay dividends for your long-term wellness.
What do you do during your "me" time?
Subscribe via RSS or follow Beauty Is Within on Twitter and Facebook to stay updated!